Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Super Power of the Day

I woke up this morning to the sound of the rain loudly drumming on the windows. Flashback to last night when the front tire of my bike seemed weak and was likely very slowly deflating. I contemplate how I will get from Point A (my bed) to Point B (my office) without spending the first hour of work looking like I just pulled myself out of a pool.

My first thought was, "Don't go to work!" which was stupid. My second thought was, "Call someone to drive you!" which was almost equally as stupid. (I never claimed to be wise in the morning.) Another thought was, "Take the bus!" which had potential but seemed to admit defeat against the rain, and involved figuring out the awkwardness of the local bus system. The thought was followed with, "Call a taxi!" which was ridiculous. I'd rather straddle a broomstick and wait for it to take flight than to wait for a cab to pick me up -- and pay. That cab fare would be a nice glass of wine, dear reader!

Clearly at 8:15am I am in no good condition to brain storm. I showered and went downstairs to check bicyclette's condition. Initial viewing lead me to believe a miracle had happened and the tire did not deflate much more from the night before, but touching the tire bled the truth into my eyes. Flatter than a bottle of pop left open for two weeks.

I eat breakfast, catching a bit of the news. Flooding in Rhode Island, apparently. After real breakfast, I eat dessert, a cookie. All my best ideas come to me when thoughtfully nibbling a cookie and letting the 8-kg of sucre and 9-lbs of shortening and butter awaken my corpse. I decide the rain will STOP NOW and I will walk to work.

Magically, the rain stopped.

Now, this could have been a coincidence, but I prefer to think my brain is mysteriously connected to precipitating clouds. It certainly makes for better blog ramblings.

No comments: