Sunday, October 26, 2008

Elephant dream

Last night I had a dream about elephants. Baby elephants, specifically.



Sometimes I feel like I have such a kindergarten brain. Elephants!! Clap!!

In my dream I was at the Calgary Zoo and two baby elephants walked out of the elephant pen. Apparently they really wanted to see me. How they communicated this with the zoo keeper is beyond me. Of course they were adorable, and of course I wanted to play with them. However, for some reason I did not play with them. So very curious. I think I was a bit intimidated. Anyway, this dream served as a reminder that I must read the Globe & Mail this weekend. According to Friday's edition, there is to be an article on elephants in the travel section.

Completely related, I turned to an online dream dictionary to find out the significance of elephants in my dream. I don't think, however, that the fact they were elephants were key to the dream; it was more about how much I loved them, but was scared of them.

From astrology.com ....
"In the Zulu culture, the elephant is the symbol for wisdom, patriarchy, and sacred relationships (similar to the bear or eagle in Native American culture). It is important to notice that geographically different cultures find symbols within their own contexts to convey universal themes of human concern.
"Also, most western cultures revere the elephant as powerful and possessing a strong memory. Because of our common acknowledgment that elephants have powerful memories, to dream of an elephant may be an association with the act of memory-this may point to something forgotten in your life."

Another website mentions that baby elephants specifically symbolize good luck or forture.

What really bothers me about the dream, other than the fact it was only a dream and I did not have the real opportunity to play with elephants, is that I was kind of scared. It was clearly something I wanted to do, but I was too scared to do it. On the other hand, at least it reminded me to read the Globe today, perhaps that was the real meaning of the dream - to trigger a memory?

Anyway, I shall do something now. Perhaps head for a bike ride (though it is supposed to get quite windy which makes my left knee hurt) or go to the library to return some books.

La fin. Encore.

No comments: